Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Final Project Topic

After reading the book Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko, I started thinking about the under-representation of disabilities in children's literature. When I myself think of "multi-cultural literature," the category of "disability" seems to escape me. Why I am not sure. Perhaps it is my lack of exposure, as a child and as an adult, to literature centered around such a topic. Having previously worked with and cared for a child affected by more than one disability, both physical and emotional, this is a topic that interests me. While I am not a special education major, I would like to broaden my experience with children who are affected by a disability in their every day life. More specifically, I want to focus on emotional disability such as autism. This literature is especially important to include in the classroom. Through this project, I hope to critically analyze books focusing on emotional disability, which may or may not be good to use in the classroom.

Helpful Links:
Children's books about Autism

2 comments:

Valerie W. said...

Your post helps me understand your interest in the topic. I hope you don't mind if I link to it as an example!

What a great resource! It would be interesting to think about the types of books they offer: Are they geared towards teaching "about" autism? And/or do they include stories which have autistic characters incorporated into a story, etc.

Lauren said...

When I first heard about this final project, I really had no idea what I wanted to focus on. As I started listening to other's ideas, children with disabilities kept popping up in my mind. Like you, I am not a Special Education major, just elementary ed...so I don't know much about it. I have been around kids with disabilities, in and out of school but I don't think I have ever stopped to think about books that include these types of characters. I think this is such an interesting topic, and I like how you narrowed it down to just children with emotional disabilities like autism!